Enjoy a relaxing weekend trip away from your troubles with some fine Tasmanian wines and the best of friends. Check out our guide to the best Hobart golf courses and prepare for the time of your life.
1. Royal Hobart Golf Club
The Royal Hobart Golf Club is a top-quality Championship golf course and member’s club to the east of the city. It’s considered Tasmania’s premier member’s golf club and is open all year round for bookings.
The Royal Hobart Golf Club is renowned for immaculate fairways and greens; the course is beautifully maintained by a dedicated team of grounds staff. It has hosted Championship events including the Tasmanian Open and even the Qantas Australian Open back in 1971. This tournament was won by Jack Nicklaus – the course has a superb pedigree.
Where Is it?
The Royal Hobart Golf Club is located at Seven Mile Beach. It’s close to the airport, making it ideally located for visitors flying in from the Australian mainland or elsewhere.
Tasmania’s climate lends itself to ideal golfing conditions, and the pristine fairways you’ll find at the Royal Hobart Golf Club back this up.
Features & Amenities
The 18-hole Championship course is classed as a Par 73 men’s course and a Par 75 women’s course. Its total distance is 6,174m for gentlemen and 5,468 for ladies. It’s an ideal length for a full day of sun and honing your swing on one of the finest Hobart golf courses.
- Restaurants including waterfront dining and the White Rock Café are available to guests and members, providing everything from canapés to full-course dinners.
- Reciprocal membership opportunities for members of many other clubs globally. This allows access to 2 practice fairways, a putting green, and much more.
- Function rooms seating up to 120 members – smaller rooms are available for private parties and functions.
- A stunning club bar to relax after a long day of golfing.
- Golfers should note that while in the clubhouse, all members and guests should be dressed in a smart-casual style. On the course, members and guests should wear neat clothing – you’ve got to look the part to feel truly at home!
The Royal Hobart Golf Club features many strategic bunkers taking advantage of natural sand at its location. These can be tricky to navigate but if you’re bringing a less experienced friend, they can relax – there’s nothing fiendish about this gem among Hobart golf courses.
Holes to look forward to on the men’s tour:
- Hole 2 – A par 4 where everything depends on that opening drive. It throws an enjoyable, early element of jeopardy into your friendly contest!\
- Hole 9 – A gorgeous par 5 that comes at the perfect part of the course to hit your sweetest drive.
- Hole 17 – This offers a great birdie opportunity late in the day. This can offer great relief if you’ve had a rough round.
The club offers reciprocal membership with many other international golf clubs – contact yours to find out if you can benefit from membership perks. Otherwise, guest admission for the 18-hole course is very affordable for a long weekend.
How to Book
It’s advised that you book to play at the Royal Hobart Golf Club well in advance if you’re not a member. This is one of the most popular premium Hobart golf courses – getting in early can guarantee the best weekend. The good news is that it’s a great course to play all year round. Of course, if you’re looking to experience a Tasmanian Golf Tour then you can leave the bookings to us!
2. Tasmania Golf Club
Tasmania Golf Club is one of the best Hobart golf courses for a relaxing weekend with friends. It offers fine dining, a wonderful bar for socializing, and of course a spectacular and well-maintained golf course.
Where Is it?
Tasmania Golf Club is located at the northern tip of the peninsula to the east of Hobart. It’s easily accessible from the airport and boasts stunning waterside views around the course. It’s also right next to the famous Barilla Bay Oyster farm, so you can count on some of the freshest and finest high-end seafood meals and appetisers at this amazing golf club.
Features & Amenities
The 18-hole course at Tasmania Golf Club measures 6.214m for the men’s tour. Players will pass among gorgeous eucalyptus trees all year round, making it a superb venue to bring guests from overseas. Popular features and amenities include:
- A beautifully designed and impeccably maintained par 72 18-hole Championship course, winding along the waterfront. It’s accessible for many skill levels and offers tricky challenges even to seasoned veterans.
- A top-class restaurant overlooking the final green. The restaurant serves a 3-course lunch from Wednesday-Sunday and a full dinner from Wednesday-Saturday. This makes it a great choice for an extended weekend away with your friends or business partners.
- Excellent prices for visitors and a wide range of offers on introductory memberships if you want to make it a regular haunt.
- Function rooms for exclusive dining – this is a great option if you’re showing business partners around top Hobart golf courses.
- A well-stocked and attractive bar to relax and socialize in at the end of the day.
The Tasmania Golf Club is one of the most beautiful Hobart golf courses you’ll find. You can guarantee a VIP treatment every time.
A standout feature of the course is its large greens – these can be deceptively tricky but give you a great opportunity to work on your short game. Notable parts of this beautiful course include:
- Hole 1 – The view from the tee on this par 4 will confirm that you’ve made the right choice. White sands and the sea create a stunning backdrop – just don’t let it put you off your drive! This hole is also rated among the most forgiving on the course.
- Hole 3 – A 515m par 5 curves around the waterside, offering glory for the brave. Bring your biggest shot and take careful note of the wind.
- Hole 13 – Unlucky for some – agreed to be a challenging and technical hole, this will test your green skills to the limit
Hole 18 deserves a mention – it’s a short par 3 with some steep climbing and the tantalizing view of the bar at the end! A great way to round off your day.
The course is affordable for guests – the Tasmania Golf Club also offers reciprocal memberships with many clubs across Australia and globally.
How to Book
Book your trip to the Tasmania Golf Club early – the waterside views are stunning all year round, as with all Hobart golf courses. Still, it’s worth planning for the year’s finest weekends by getting in touch as soon as possible.
3. Kingston Beach Golf Course
Kingston Beach Golf Course boasts a superb golf course and is one of the most accessible Hobart golf courses for visitors. It features excellent wining and dining options along with stunning waterfront views.
Where Is it?
Kingston Beach Golf Course is located south down the coast. It’s further south than other Hobart golf courses but is still easily accessible from the town and airport.
Features & Amenities
This 18-hole Championship course is affordable for guests and offers great-value membership packages. While you’re there, you can enjoy:
A long course with spectacular views over the River Derwent and beautiful woodland.
- A great lunchtime menu – unfortunately the proprietary restaurant is currently closed for evening bookings, but there are many superb dining spots nearby. Plus, the Spike Bar offers a wonderful selection of Tasmanian wines and beers.
- Social events such as quiz nights – inquire ahead to find out more about the social calendar.
Easy access from Hobart and the airport.
- A one-of-a-kind inclinator to carry you and your kit up to the 18th hole.
Visitors must stick to the neat, smart-casual dress code – as if you wouldn’t.
What makes the Kingston Beach Golf Course stand out? It’s kept in immaculate shape year-round and boasts some wonderful holes. Our favourites include:
- Hole 1 – Kingston Beach Golf Course is another tour that offers you a stunning waterfront visual from your opening tee. It also lets you begin downhill, which is a pleasant way to start.
Hole 13 – Considered the harshest hole on the course, this par 4 requires cautious play throughout. Lots of opportunities to enjoy the beautiful local trees up close.
- Hole 16 – The signature hole for Kingston Beach Golf Course, this par 3 is a devil in disguise. Plenty of hazards in a short space – it’s tremendous fun to watch your friends play!
This is one of the most affordable Hobart golf courses. Visitors are welcome, and the club offers reciprocal membership with other clubs across Australia and worldwide.
How to Book
It’s always advised to book earlier, but with the glorious year-round conditions, this is always a brilliant choice for setting up a weekend getaway when you need it most.
Hobart golf courses are simply the ideal getaway. Wonderful wine, beautiful views, great company – what more could you ask for? Start planning your weekend retreat today.